Liquor Licenses



 The Colorado Legislature has determined that the issuance and supervision of liquor licenses shall be closely regulated. City Council of the City of Fountain, Colorado, is the “Local Licensing Authority” for all licenses issued within the City of Fountain and is thus charged with carrying out these State-delegated duties. The following procedure is designed to enhance the efficient, prompt and responsible performance of these important duties by the City Council. 


Liquor licensing is regulated by the State of Colorado. Obtaining a retail liquor license is a dual process beginning at the local level. This requires review and approval form the Local Licensing Authority prior to review by the State Liquor Enforcement Division. All applications are first submitted to the Deputy City Clerk for review and then scheduled to be heard by the Local Licensing Authority.  It is the responsibility of the applicant to provide an accurate and complete application packet. Applicants are encouraged to use the Checklist of Required Documents attached to the various State application forms to ensure that all needed information is included prior to submitting the application packet.  The Local Licensing Authority meets in regular scheduled meetings on the second and fourth Tuesday every month at which a Public Hearing is held and then applications are approved or denied. You will be notified by the Deputy City Clerk with the date of Public Hearing to which you are asked to attend.

New Retail License and 3.2% Beer Packet

Renew Retail and 3.2% Beer License

List of all State Forms

The Deputy City Clerk is available to answer questions about the process and to provide clarification about the requirements and fees. The Clerk cannot provide legal advice; therefore, an applicant should consult a private attorney for any legal questions concerning the application.

 If partial information is obtained, the local authority will not consider the application complete and may delay the process.

A NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING is required to be posted on the property 10 days prior to the public hearing. 
The APPLICANT will be responsible for posting at the establishment on the date specified by the Deputy City Clerk.

Finally, you will be notified by the Deputy City Clerk once your license has been received from the Department of Revenue and is ready for pick up. A signature is required.

Codes, Rules and Regulations:

Applicants should read and understand Colorado Beer and Liquor Code and Rules prior to applying for a license or permit.  Applicants may wish to consult an attorney prior to submitting an application.  It is the applicants responsibility to be in compliance. 
Colorado Liquor Rules
Colorado Liquor Code
Colorado Beer Code
Colorado Special Event Code


The fee will vary according to the type of license requested.  You can determine your fees from the Liquor Enforcement Division fee schedule.  A City business license is required and runs concurrent with the liquor license and the fee is $50.00. 
Fingerprinting for background checks are required for all applicants and can be done at the Fountain Police Department located at 222 N. Santa Fe Ave. The fee is 20.00 payable by cash or check only.  Click here for available times. 

All fees are required when you make application 
  • Payment to the City: One check can be made payable to the City of Fountain for the local fees and the Business license fee. This check will be deposited immediately.
  • Payment to State: Make check payable to the Colorado Department of Revenue. This fee will vary according to the type of license requested and will be sent with the approved application.
  • Fingerprinting: A Money Order or Cashiers check payable to CBI in the amount of $38.50 with each Fingerprint Card. 

Important!  The State of Colorado has increased some of their application fees effective July 1, 2017. Please make sure you have used the most updated forms and consulted the fee schedule (linked above) so that there are no delays in the processing of your application. If you have questions, please contact the City Clerk's Office at (719) 322-2024.

Liquor Special Event Permits

Liquor Special Event Permits allow qualified non-profit entities or political candidates to sell, serve or distribute alcohol beverages for on-premise consumption only in connection with fund raising events.  Sandwiches or snack foods must be made available during all hours of liquor service.

Special Event Permits are approved through the Local Licensing Authority that meets in a regular scheduled meeting on the second and fourth Tuesday of each month.  If approved, the application will be forwarded to the state for processing. Once the State has reviewed and approved the application, the Special Event Permit will be sent to the Deputy City Clerk who will issue the permit to the Organization. 

Please submit your Application for Special Events Permit 30 days prior to your event.  If your event is on public property you will be required to complete an Event Permit and have authorization from the Streets, Parks, Police and Fire departments. 

Special Event Codes

Special Event Permit authorizes: 

  • The sale of alcohol beverages at a private event by the drink.
  • The sale or serving of alcohol beverages to the public by the drink.


Special Event Permits are required if:

  • The event is open to the public or has been publicly advertised.  Whether you are selling it or giving it away. 
  • You are selling alcohol or charging admission to include alcohol. 

Private events, invitation-only events, events on private property that are serving complimentary alcohol do not require a permit to serve alcohol. 

You may not hold a Special Event Permit on a premise that currently has a liquor license.  You cannot license over an existing license (except for the club, arts, limited winery or wine festival).

A Special Event Permit may be issued to an organization which: 

  • has been incorporated under the laws of the state for purposes of social, fraternal, patriotic, political or athletic nature and not for pecuniary gain, or
  • is a regularly chartered branch, lodge, or chapter of a national organization or society organized for such purposes and being nonprofit in nature, or
  • is a regularity established religious or philanthropic institution, or
  • to any political candidate who has filed the necessary reports and statements with the Secretary of State pursuant to article 45 of title 1, C.R.S.

Important Reminders:

  • Applicants are liable for any violations of liquor leaving the premise or outside liquor entering the premise,
  • Applicants are liable for any violations of underage serving or over serving patrons. 
  • Alcohol must be purchased from a licensed wholesaler, retail liquor store, liquor licensed drugstore, brewpub, distillery pub or vintner's restaurant. 
  • Donated alcohol can now be sold by the drink; it must be from a licensed wholesaler, retail liquor store, liquor licensed drugstore, brewpub, distillery pub or vintner's restaurant
  • Net profits of liquor sales after expenses must be retained by the applicant
  • Food or snacks must be available for purchase or complimentary. 
  • Each non-profit is limited to holding 15 events per year in Colorado. 
  • Cannot sell alcohol in sealed containers, including bottles of liquor in gift baskets at auctions. 

Make Changes

Below are the links to the most common requested changes.  All changes will be submitted to the  Deputy City Clerk and  if necessary scheduled to be heard by the Local Licensing Authority.  All fees are required when submitting your request.

Change of Mailing address and Name notification

The Permit Application and Report of Changes (DR8442) cover all of the following changes:

  • Register or Change Managers
  • Change of Trade Name or Corporate Name
  • Change, Alter or Modify Premises
  • Addition of Optional Premises to Existing H/R
  • Change Location Permit 

 Be sure to submit the necessary information for the change you are requesting.  Individual History and fingerprinting are common necessary items. 



The Deputy City Clerk is available to answer questions about the process and to provide clarification about the requirements and fees. The Clerk cannot provide legal advice; therefore, an applicant should consult a private attorney for any legal questions concerning the application.

If you feel you need to schedule a time to go over your questions feel free to contact us any time. 

Joney Carneal
Deputy City Clerk
[email protected]